Call Upon the Patron of Those Struggling With Addiction For Aid & Comfort
The Seven Day Matt Talbot Ceremony is a prayer ritual which appeals to the patron of addiction to bring his loving attention to your situation.
Your Name
Your Request

Matt Talbot is the Patron of those suffering from addiction. A statue of Talbot is the centerpiece of the altar and watches over the work. Talbot stands atop an Alcoholics Anonymous "Big Book" donated to the church by a man with 32 years sobriety. A pair of silver scissors represents the cutting of the ties of addiction. A large piece of Selenite, which is said to help break the bonds of addiction, adorns the altar. Also on the altar are various AA and NA chips donated by successful recovering addicts.

The Seven Day prayer is a powerful ceremony which appeals to The Venerable Matt Talbot to bring his loving attention to your situation. Reverend Saint Germain will personalize this ceremony to meet your specific needs and satisfy the unique nature of your situation. You will receive photos of the work along with the Reverend's interpretation of any signs or omens observed during the ceremony.

Who was Matt Talbot?

Matt Talbot was born in 1856 in Dublin, Ireland into a very poor family that was ravaged by alcoholism. Matt himself began drinking when he was 12 years old, and he quickly spent all his money on liquor. When he did not have money from his regular job, he often stood outside a pub waiting for a friend to invite him in and buy him a drink. By the time he was 28, Matt had no friends left. He pawned his clothes and possessions for drinking money. He once stole a fiddle from a blind street performer, sold the fiddle and used the money to buy alcohol. Whenever he drank, he got into fights. His life was a total ruin and he was scorned as the town drunk.

At rock bottom, he resolved to stop drinking and “took the pledge,” a common custom in Matt’s time whereby Alcoholics made a promise to God in the presence of a priest that they were going to give up drinking. Matt’s first pledge was for three months. Putting his faith in the divine, everything changed for Matt. He began to go to daily Mass. He often spent his free time — the time he used to spend in the pub — praying. He became especially close to Mother Mary. He said he knew that the Blessed Mother wanted to help him live a happy life. He read stories of the saints and joined the Third Order of St. Francis. He stopped carrying money he earned from his job in a lumberyard, wanting to avoid the temptation to spend it on liquor. Instead, he gave his wages away to friends who needed money for rent or to buy food or shoes for their children. He was also generous in donating money to his church. He was completely transformed and had become a respected and admired member of his community.

Matt remained sober for the rest of his life — almost 40 years. He was a man of simplicity and lived in a small apartment that had barely any furniture. He was on his way to Mass when he died on a Granby Lane of a heart attack in June of 1925. There is a small plaque on Granby Lane at the site of his death. Prior to the current plaque on the Eastern side of the lane, a small brass cross was inlaid in a stone wall on the Western side of the lane. Talbot has been declared “Venerable” by the Catholic Church. This is the first step on the journey to sainthood. Today, many men and women who struggle with addiction carry with them a "Matt Talbot," a medal with Talbot's likeness on it, to help them in their struggle.